##UPDATE January 2013##
I received a heart warming email from the Olympus Australia Dictation Product Manager yesterday. The email contained the release notes for the next version of Olympus’ Mac digital dictation software called DSS Player Plus v7 expected to be released in early 2013. DSS Player Plus is packaged with all the Olympus dictaphones (DS-7000/DS-3500 current range and DS-5000/DS-3400 previous range).
We had written in a earlier blog post ( Olympus Pro Dictaphones Not Quite Compatible With Dragon Dictate 3 Transcription ) how DSS Player Plus was deficient in converting recorded audio to a high enough .AIF sampling rate for use with Nuance’s new transcription feature in Dragon Dictate 3 for Mac. This feature for the first time on a Mac allowed conversion of both recorded audio or directly spoken audio from voice to text using the highly accurate Dragon speech recognition engine. Converting .ds2 audio recorded on an Olympus DS-7000 or DS-3500 to .aif for load into Dragon Dictate 3 for transcription would give the error:
Dictate cannot use files with sampling rates below 22.050 kilohertz.
When the sampling rate issue was discovered I immediately alerted Olympus to the potential impact this would cause for the many Mac users who had been holding out for the transcription feature, a feature enjoyed by Windows users of Dragon NaturallySpeaking for quite some time. Fortunately we found a work around in the Olympus Sonority audio software which has helped a few people around the world out of trouble in recent weeks and who have reported some great results using Dragon Dictate 3 and their Olympus Pro dictaphones.
The update to DSS PLayer Plus v7 is expected to take the software to version v7.3.3 and is planned to include the following features:
—Release note start——————————————————————————————-
Users will be able to select the converted file format in the application’s Option Settings dialogue. This option will allow conversion of DSS/DS2 files only.
The selectable items will be (DS-7000 & DS-3500):
- Default : The current behavior. Frequency is the lowest, and the smallest file will be created.
- PCM 22.050kHz 16bit Mono : The minimum supported frequency for Dragon Dictate 3.
- PCM 44.1kHz 16bit Mono : The frequency recommended by Nuance for speech recognition with Dragon Dictate 3. This file size is the largest of the available selections, but the accuracy of speech recognition will also be the highest.
- .MP3 (DS-3500 supports) : Converted to “PCM 44.1kHz 16bit Stereo”. It will therefore be compatible with Dragon Dictate 3.
- .WAV (DS-3500 supports) : Can not be converted. This is the same as the current behaviour.
Nuance’s development team has informed Olympus that Dragon Dictate 3 only accepts files that are under 2 hours in duration. Files which are longer than 2 hours in AIFF format are rejected by Dragon Dictate 3. This is the only limitation with Dragon Dictate 3, however Olympus don’t think it will become problem for professional dictation use.
—Release note end——————————————————————————————-