Olympus released version seven (R7) of their ODMS (Olympus Dictation Management System) software for Windows late 2018. This is the software that comes in the box with their professional digital dictaphones (DS-9000 and DS-9500) and their pro transcription typing kit (AS-9000).
You may have an older Olympus dictaphone or transcription kit which would have come with a previous release of ODMS like R6 or R5 which was known as DSS Player Pro:
- Olympus DS-7000 dictaphone came with ODMS R6 Dictation Module
- Olympus DS-5000 dictaphone came with DSS Player Pro R5 Dictation Module
- Olympus AS-7000 transcription kit came with ODMS R6 Transcription Module
- Olympus AS-5000 transcription kit came with DSS Player Pro R5 Transcription Module
If you have DSS Player Pro R5 or Olympus ODMS R6 installed you should upgrade to ODMS R7 :
- Only ODMS R7 is supported by Olympus and the Olympus Audio dealers, if you have any issues you will be asked to upgrade
- Only ODMS R7 is officially Windows 10 compatible
- ODMS R7 does support the older recorders and transcription kits
What is the difference between the Olympus Transcription Module and Dictation Module?
On Windows, Olympus split their ODMS software (like they did in R6 and with DSS Player Pro R5) in two.
Dictation Module (DM) is supplied with the digital dictaphones and it allows settings to be changed on the recorder via the software and can automate workflow activities like auto download dictation, auto email dictation and even push to Dragon should you have voice recognition software installed on your Windows computer. You can not use a transcription foot pedal, supplied in the transcription kits (AS-9000, AS-7000, AS-5000) model numbers RS-31(H) and RS-28(H) with the dictation module.
Transcription Module (TM) is supplied with the transcription typing kits and it allows typists to control audio playback of dictation, either via a transcription foot pedal or by using hotkeys, while listening to and transcribing audio. The TM software can also automate the loading of digital dictation audio files received via email or dropped onto a shared drive or folder.
How easy is it to upgrade from Olympus ODMS R6 or Olympus DSS Player Pro R5 to Olympus ODMS R7?
Usually there are two common scenarios:
Scenario 1: You have a brand new Windows 10 PC and you want the latest supported version of Olympus software on your new computer. On your old PC you have version R5 or R6
Scenario 2: You have version DSS Player Pro R5 or Olympus ODMS R6 installed and you just want to upgrade to the latest version on that PC.
The process to upgrade is fairly straightforward and the same for both scenarios. You must have DSS Player Pro R5 or ODMS R6 installed on your PC using your original unique software licence key prior to using the ODMS R7 upgrade licence key.
In the video below we walk through a sample upgrade from DSS Player Pro R5 to ODMS R7
How much are the upgrade licences to ODMS R7?
Upgrade licenses are AU$99 each (these are also available to users outside of Australia), the Olympus ODMS R7 upgrade licence keys are automatically emailed to you upon payment.
Which upgrade do I need? Olympus AS-9003 or Olympus AS-9004?
The Olympus part number are not that intuitive so please ensure you purchase the correct part, if you are not sure just contact us we are happy to advice.
- If your existing Olympus software licence key starts with the letters RD5 or RD6 then you need AS-9003 (Olympus ODMS R7 DM Upgrade licence key)
- If your existing Olympus software licence key starts with the letters RT5 or RT6 then you need AS-9004 (Olympus ODMS R7 TM Upgrade licence key)